Thursday, September 8, 2016

Beowulf Dialect Journal: #35-36

35. "'The treasures that Hygelac lavished on me I paid for when I fought, as fortune allowed me, with my glittering sword. He gave me land and the security land brings, so he had no call to go looking for some lesser champion.'" (2490-2494)

Beowulf explains his relationship to King Hygelac. Hygelac gives him land and wealth, and Beowulf gives Hygelac his loyalty and service in battle in return. They're also foster brothers. Yet, somehow, the money-and-land-for-fighting relationship is more important to Beowulf than the family ties.

36. "Beowulf spoke, made a formal boast for the last time: 'I risked my life often when I was young. Now I am old, but as king of the people I shall pursue this fight for the glory of winning, if the evil one will only abandon his earth-fort and face me in the open.'" (2510-2515)

Beowulf makes sure that he's continuing to add to his reputation and fame by his brave deeds. As he faces death, he sustains himself by continuing to think about the name that he's made for himself.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing you will write an essay on "BEOWULF" as a character? You have a few entries on him.

    ReplyDelete