Thursday, September 8, 2016

Beowulf Dialect Journal: #33-34

33. "After many trials, he was destined to face the end of his days in this mortal world; as was the dragon, for all his long leasehold on the treasure." (2341-2344)

The final battle between good and evil in Beowulf. Beowulf destroys the dragon, but receives his death in the process. Without Beowulf, the Geats will be attacked from all sides, and I wonder whether his heroic deeds have really created any lasting good in the world.

34. "At seven, I was fostered out by my father, left in the charge of my people's lord. King Hrethel kept me and took care of me, was open-handed, behaved like a kinsman. While I was his ward, he treated me no worse as a wean about the place than one of his own boys." (2428-2433)

It's interesting to notice that we don't hear about Beowulf's childhood until the very end of the epic. The fact that Beowulf was raised as a foster son by King Hrethel probably seems really important; but Beowulf's deeds as an adult are more important than his youth.

1 comment:

  1. True. But what is it important that Beowulf was a foster son to Hrethel?

    ReplyDelete